A massive fire broke out in a godown, and quickly spread to over a dozen others in its vicinity, in Dapode area of Bhiwandi on Wednesday morning.
The fire broke out around 10 am in one of the godowns located at Sagar Complex in Ovali Village, near Mankoli, in Bhiwandi. Within minutes, the fire spread to at least 15 other warehouses located nearby.
According to preliminary information, the fire broke out due to a short circuit. However, a confirmation from a fire officer is awaited.
The warehouses are believed to have stocked plastic, wood, chemicals and other raw materials. Some of them were shut when the blaze started.
Fire department was quickly alerted about the incident and two fire engines were rushed to the spot. However, due to the severity of the fire, fire engines from Bhiwandi, Thane, Kalyan, and Ulhasnagar have been rushed to the scene.
As of publishing this report, at least 50 people have been rescued from the warehouses and 12 fire engines are carrying out fire fighting operations. Police and other emergency vehicles are also on standby.
The fire and smoke are making operations difficult, a fire officer was quoted saying. It may take fire fighters hours to douse the blaze completely.
Meanwhile, no casualties have been reported till now and further details are awaited.
The powerloom town of Bhiwandi has witnessed dozens of fire-related incidents this year, most of which are confined to commercial establishments. Over the last decade, the district has even witnessed a surge in the number of illegal godowns.
Although the loss of life is typically rare, the mishaps often destroy property worth crores.
This report has been covered in a shortened or snippet format to ensure the most crucial information is published in the shortest possible time. The report may be expanded to a full-length article if the story develops further or more information becomes available.