Celebrating the festival of colours with friends turned disastrous for a seven-year-old girl from Aarey Colony yesterday. She lost vision of her left eye to toxic chemicals present in colours.
While playing Holi, one of her friends threw colours on her which went into her eyes. Within 10 minutes, a white patch formed in her eye, and she was rushed to a local hospital.
The doctors there asked her parents to take her to a tertiary care centre, after which the girl was taken to BMC-run KEM hospital. Despite the doctors trying their best, the toxic chemicals already caused a permanent damage to her left eye.
The doctors said that it appears that chuna (limestone) was mixed with the colour, which penetrated through the tissues and had affected her cornea.