Refrigerator catches fire in Thane high-rise, residents escape unhurt

Refrigerator catches fire in Thane high-rise, residents escape unhurt
The appliance was kept in the kitchen of one of the flats on the 5th floor of Palacia building in Hiranandani Estate, Thane (Picture Courtesy: Sudhir Naik)

A minor fire in a home appliance, more specifically a refrigerator, sparked panic among residents of a Thane high-rise on Tuesday morning.

According to officials, the refrigerator unit in the kitchen of room 503 in Palacia building caught fire earlier today. The fire gutted the unit and charred the wall behind it, but did not result in any casualties.

The house is owned by Prasad Sathe, who resides on the 5th floor of the ground plus 16-storey building in Hiranandani Estate in Manpada, Thane West.

After authorities were notified, a team of local police officials, TMC’s Regional Disaster Management Cell (RDMC) and fire brigade arrived on the spot. One fire engine and one quick response vehicle were pressed into service to control the situation.

A short circuit in the refrigerator is suspected to have caused the fire, although a final confirmation is awaited.

The incident comes two weeks after a first year B.Tech student died in a refrigerator blast at her house in Bongaluru in Hyderabad.

Back to latest news