School expels differently-abled student over ‘bad handwriting’
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. In a complaint to the Coimbatore Collector Archana Patnaik on Monday, a differently-abled student has alleged that her school expelled her because of her poor hand-writing.
2. According to the complaint, S Lakshmi Priya was enrolled at St Mary’s High School in Gandhipuram. However, after the completion of Class VIII, she was expelled and refused to be admitted to Class IX by the school because of her handwriting.
3. The child’s grandmother told The New Indian Express that Priya is an average student but cannot write properly as she suffers from a neurological disorder.
4. After getting expelled, the girl also tried to get into other schools, but to no avail. Later, when Corporation school at Rathinapuri also refused her admission, Priya approached the collector in order to get admission in her old school.
5. The school is yet to confirm whether the differently-abled girl was expelled due to her handwriting alone.