25-year-old experiences 25,000-volt jolt while traveling atop local train
A 25-year-old travelling on the roof of a CST-Panvel train got the shock of his life when he came in contact with the 25,000-volt of power running through the overhead wires on the Harbour Line at Tilak Nagar. The Central Railway had converted its Harbour line from the 1,500-volt DC system to the nearly 17 times stronger Alternating Current on Saturday night.
As rooftop travelling is a regular problem on the Harbour line, railway authorities had deployed extra police personnel to curb the problem at five stations that are particularly notorious for rooftop travelling.
Despite the preventive measures, the victim, identified as Mohammad Waris Shaikh managed to climb on the roof of the train and suffered 90 per cent burns when came in contact with the live overhead wires.
He was rushed to Rajawadi Hospital, where he is now undergoing treatment.