3 kids die of suspected food poisoning after consuming food at housewarming party, 70 others hospitalised
Three children died and over 70 people were hospitalised due to suspected food poisoning after they had a meal at a house-warming function in Maharashtra’s Raigad on Monday evening.
According to Raigad Superintendent of Police Anil Paraskar, a person identified as Subhash Mane had organised ‘vaastu shanti’ ceremony for his new house in Mahad village in Khalapur area yesterday evening. The ceremony was followed by dinner.
After consuming the food, some of the guests complained of uneasiness and started vomiting. They were initially rushed to Parvati Hospital in Khopoli.
But later, more than 70 people, including children, arrived at the hospital with the same complaint. Some of them were even unconscious.
As the number of patients grew and the health of some deteriorated, all the victims were shifted to various hospitals in Raigad, Navi Mumbai and Mumbai.
Three children – Kalyani Shingude (7), Rishikesh Shinde (12) and Pragati Shinde (13) – were declared dead before admission in one of the hospitals.
Nearly 70 people, including children, were still being treated in 11 hospitals. Of them five are stated to be in a critical condition.
“We have registered a case and will send the samples of the food served at the dinner to a forensic science laboratory and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for analysis,” an official said.