Coronavirus Update: 3 from Mumbai, 1 from Thane & 9 from Pune test positive for COVID-19

Coronavirus Update: 3 from Mumbai, 1 from Thane & 9 from Pune test positive for COVID-19
The 3 new cases reported in the state include a 65-year-old from Mumbai who returned from Dubai, a 35-year-old from Thane who had travelled to France and a 33-year-old from Pune who returned from the US (Representational Image, Courtesy: headtopics.com)

The number of coronavirus patients in Maharashtra jumped to 14 on Thursday after one person each tested positive for COVID-19 in Mumbai, Thane, and Pune.

With the new cases, the number of confirmed coronavirus patients in the state has risen to 14, state Health Minister Rajesh Tope said.

The first two confirmed cases in Mumbai were reported on Wednesday after a couple from Andheri tested positive. The elderly couple had travelled to Dubai and come in close contact with the Pune couple who tested positive for COVID-19 earlier this week.

The third and most recent coronavirus patient in Mumbai was a 65-year-old man who had also returned from Dubai.

His present condition is somewhat critical, Tope told reporters.

The patient’s samples were sent to Kasturba Hospital for testing yesterday morning and the results came in the evening. He is currently admitted to the ICU of a private hospital but is likely to be shifted to the isolation ward of Kasturba Hospital soon.

Apart from him, the other two new patients include a 35-year-old from Thane who had traveled to France and a 33-year-old Pune resident who tested positive after returning from the US.

The Thane-resident is also undergoing treatment at Kasturba Hospital, where 190 symptomatic patients have been admitted so far. Meanwhile, BMC officials are in the process of adding an isolation ward at Seven Hills Hospital in Mumbai.

As of publishing this report, there are nine confirmed coronavirus patients in Pune, three in Mumbai, one in Thane and another in Nagpur – taking Maharashtra’s tally to 14.

Meanwhile, India reported its first coronavirus death yesterday after a 76-year-old man in Karnataka’s Kalaburgi succumbed to the disease.

According to the Union Health Ministry, a total of 75 persons are now infected by the virus in India while three persons have been cured and discharged.

Back to latest news