Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. Railway authorities are mulling over installing escalators for Mumbai’s longest foot over bridge at Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST).
2. According to a Mid-Day report, railway officials plan on installing two escalators at a cost of Rs 1 crore each. The escalators will be set up between platforms at the FOB landing on Harbour and Main lines.
3. The bridge that connects all the 18 platforms is often used by passengers of long-distance trains and suburban trains. The two escalators will be installed where the suburban system operates.
4. “The CST comes under the jurisdiction of Indian Railways and so no permission is needed from us. Also as long as it doesn’t harm the building in any way, permission will not be required,” said an official from Archaeological Survey of India to Mid-Day.
5. In addition to CST, railways is also planning on installing 42 escalators across other Mumbai suburban railway stations.