A fire broke out near the dump yard at Lalji Pada area in Kandivali West on Thursday morning.
The fire was first reported around 11 am, following which fire tenders were rushed to the spot. As of now, two fire tenders have been pressed into service.
While initial reports claimed that the fire was a result of garbage being burnt inside the dump yard, new information suggests that the incident was caused due to a short circuit in a nearby electric pole.
Bystanders reported sparks erupting from the pole, following which smoke started emanating. A large cloud of smoke engulfed the area and was visible from the adjacent highway.
An update from the fire department on the exact cause and origin of fire is still awaited.
This is the second fire-related incident in Kandivali this week. Earlier on Wednesday, a massive fire broke out in a godown housing plastic items at the Charkop Industrial Estate. Employees were stuck inside the premises initially, but were subsequently rescued.
On Tuesday, two people lost their lives in a fire that broke out on the 20th floor of Maker Towers in Cuffe Parade in South Mumbai.
As of 1:30 pm, no casualties have been reported. However, further information is awaited.Back to latest news