Sachin Tendulkar’s art installation to be removed from Marine Drive
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. On Monday, the BMC served a notice to RPG Art Foundation to remove the art sculpture which they had installed at Marine Drive within a period of 24 hours.
2. The foundation had installed the sculpture as a tribute to legendary cricketer Sachin Tendulkar last year.
3. After the sculpture was installed, the Nariman Point Churchgate Residents Association had raised an objection to any installation or construction on the promenade. The association had also written a letter to the BMC in September, 2015.
4. After scrutinizing and evaluating various norms on ad hoc installation and construction on a heritage precinct, the BMC served a notice to the foundation. If the foundation fails to remove the installation by the end of the day on Tuesday, the BMC will remove it without any further notice.
5. Upon receiving the notice by BMC, Sumeet Chatterjee, senior vice-president, brand and group communications, RPG Enterprises told Times of India, “The installation at Marine Drive is one among the many public art installations that the RPG Art Foundation has initiated to beautify public spaces across Mumbai. Each installation is being donated to the city. As Marine Drive is a heritage precinct, the residents had raised certain objections. The BMC requested us to move the installation with an assurance of an alternate site.”