Select Page

Video: Fire breaks out at Worli’s BDD Chawl, locals rescue stranded family

Video: Fire breaks out at Worli’s BDD Chawl, locals rescue stranded family
Video: Fire breaks out at Worli's BDD Chawl, locals rescue stranded family

Locals rescue stranded family members from the 1st floor apartment (Screengrabs from the video uploaded by Jia Mumbai)

A minor fire broke out at a residential building at Bombay Development Department (BDD) chawl in Mumbai’s Worli area on Monday afternoon.

According to preliminary information, the fire broke out at the first floor apartment of building number 83 today afternoon.

Following the incident, neighbours helped evacuate the residents via the apartment’s window along with some household items. The locals also informed the fire department and helped partially douse the fire by the time fire fighters reached the spot.

Although the fire is suspected to have started due to a short circuit, a confirmation from the fire department is awaited.

As of publishing this report, no one was reported injured. However, further details are awaited.

The BDD chawls were built by the British Government in 1920 to house textile mill workers. Almost a century later, the chawls are in a dilapidated condition and deemed ‘unsafe for occupation’ by the BMC.

The BDD chawl in Worli alone consists of 121 buildings and is spread across an area of 59 acres. The chawls are currently on the cusp of redevelopment at an estimated project cost of around Rs 9,000 crore.


This report has been covered in a shortened or snippet format to ensure the most crucial information is published in the shortest possible time. The report may be expanded to a full length article if the story develops further or more information becomes available.

Send this to a friend