Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. The Worli Police busted a fake KBC lottery racket and arrested gang members for allegedly duping people of lakhs of rupees.
2. According to a Hindustan Times report, the accused would target unsuspecting persons by calling and informing them that they had won a KBC lottery worth Rs 25 lakh. The victims would be asked to pay a certain amount to avail of the lottery winning. When the victim was done depositing the money (Rs 3 lakh), the gang used to tell the victim that he could deposit extra cash to get jewellery worth Rs 20 lakh.
3. Jaffar Abbas Hasmulla Shaikh (22), Irfan Miya Ali Ansari (32) and Arshad Sayyad Ali (20) are believed to be the mastermind behind the whole racket. While Shaikh and Ansari were arrested from Kolkata, Ali was nabbed in Bihar.
4. While speaking to the daily, an officer said, “The accused used SIM cards from Pakistan which made tracing their call details and locations tough. They appointed various people for different tasks such as creating bank accounts, calling people and withdrawing cash.” The incident came to light after a man approached the Worli police to register a complaint against an unidentified person for cheating him to the tune of Rs 3.30 lakh for a KBC lottery.
5. With the help of CCTV footage of the ATM centres in Kolkata, the cops managed to catch hold of Shaikh and Ansari, who then led them to Ali. Following their arrests, the accused were brought to Mumbai and are remanded in police custody.Back to latest news