Worli to Nepean Sea Road: Mumbai’s longest promenade to come up alongside coastal road

Worli to Nepean Sea Road: Mumbai's longest promenade to come up alongside coastal road
At 6.4 km, the promenade will be almost twice as long as the one at Marine Drive, with dedicated space for gardens, cycle tracks, seating, public toilets & underground parking for over 1,600 vehicles (Representational Image)

The ambitious 29.2 km-long coastal road project will also give rise to the city’s longest promenade, overtaking the iconic walkway at Marine Drive in south Mumbai.

According to officials, the proposed promenade – a part of the road set to be built along the city’s coast – will be 6.4 km-long, stretching from Worli to Priyadarshini Park via Haji Ali in south Mumbai.

“So far, Marine Drive, which is around 3.4 km-long, is the longest promenade in Mumbai. However, the promenade along the coastal road will be almost double its length, making it the longest public walkway in the city,” a civic official was quoted as saying.

The new promenade will be 20-metre wide and will have gardens, playgrounds, cycle tracks, open auditoriums, toilets and seating arrangements for senior citizens, he said in a statement.

It will also have three underground parking spaces to accommodate around 1,625 vehicles.

The walkway will come up on around 96.87 lakh sqft area of reclaimed land. Of this, 22 percent area will be used for the construction of the coastal road, while the remaining 78 percent of land will be used for setting up public amenities, he said.

The stretch will have tunnels, bridges, interchanges, pedestrian underpasses and foot over-bridges along the route.

Once completed, the eight-lane 29.2 km-long coastal road will start from Princess Street Flyover in Marine Lines and run up to suburban Kandivali.

Back to latest news