IRCTC website hacked, PAN & Aadhaar card data of 1 crore customers feared stolen
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. On Wednesday, the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) website, where lakhs of transactions are conducted everyday, was reportedly hacked.
2. Officials fear personal data of around 1 crore customers to have been stolen from the server of the online portal.
3. Since the stolen data included the Pan Card and Aadhaar Card numbers of users, it is easy for the miscreant to sell the data to those looking to create forged documents.
4. The data is a valuable asset and can be sold to corporations to help them target potential customers, said an IRCTC official.
5. At present, Maharashtra government has been alerted and the state’s police has begun with the investigation.