Shahid’s fitting reply to Kangana’s ‘hero’ statement
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. Shahid Kapoor gave a fitting reply to his Rangoon co-star Kangana Ranaut’s statement about her latter being the third hero of the film.
2. Earlier, during a press conference, Kangana had raised eyebrows after she called herself the third hero of Vishal Bhardwaj’s upcoming film Rangoon. The movie also stars Shahid Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan.
3. When Shahid was asked about Kangana’s statement, he gave a rather apt reply by saying, “Why doesn’t she say there are three heroines in the film? Is there anything less in being a heroine? There are three protagonists in the film and for me, being a hero or a heroine doesn’t make any difference. So, if saying that you being a hero makes you a bigger person, I don’t agree with that thought process.”
4. Kanagana had also made a bold statement by claiming that she was the highest paid actress in Bollywood and was paid the same fee as Shahid and Saif for Rangoon. When the ‘Udta Punjab’ actor was asked about the industry’s pay disparity, he said, “Pay parity depends on the saleability of a particular person. I can also sit and cry that I am getting less money than other male actors.”
5. In an industry where the notion of heroes getting paid more than heroines is common knowledge, Shahid clarified how it’s not just about the actor’s gender by stating, “I can’t complain about my pay and I know that. That’s because my films sell for a certain amount of money whereas other actors sell for a different amount. Obviously, that should not be the case and the audience should view a film for its content, regardless of whether it is female driven or male driven. Unless that happens, you are paid for your viability.”