4-storey building collapses in Dongri: Dozens feared trapped, rescue ops underway
At least 40 to 50 people are feared trapped under the debris of ground plus four-storey building that collapsed in Mumbai’s Dongri area on Tuesday afternoon.
According to preliminary information, Kesar Bhai building, located on M.A Marg near Abdul Hamid Dargah at Tandel street, collapsed around 11:30 am today.
Locals alerted authorities about the collapse, following which a team from local police and Mumbai Fire Brigade reached the spot. Shortly after, personnel from the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) also arrived for the search and rescue operation.
Around 40-50 people are reportedly feared trapped under the debris and efforts to rescue them is currently underway. Fire tenders and an ambulance have also reached the area.
Confirmed details about casualties, if any, are still awaited.
The crowded area is packed with two to five-storey buildings, many of which are old and in a dilapidated condition. The area is also prone to waterlogging.
#DongriBuildingCollapse Update |
* One person declared dead
* 3 NDRF teams, MFB, BMC & locals engaged in search & rescue
* The MHADA building was not deemed dangerous in pre-monsoon survey
* Nearby buildings being evacuated
— LocalPressCo Mumbai (@LocalPressCo) July 16, 2019
* Death toll rises to 2
* 5, including a two-year-old kid, rescued and rushed to hospital
* Area being cordoned off to allow movement of rescue vehicles
* Death toll rises to 12
* Around 15 families resided in the 100-year-old building
* Rescue priority now, compensation & inquiry announcement later: CM Devendra Fadnavis
* Building belongs to a private trust: MHADA
* No update on why redevelopment was stuck
*Illegal construction may have caused the collapse: Sources
* Traffic diversions in place to regulate vehicular movement; road from Shalimar hotel to freeway closed
* Rescue operation still underway
The incident comes hours after two persons were injured when a portion of the roof of their house collapsed in Bandra’s Bharat Nagar area.