Five injured in fire due to washing machine compressor blast at Chembur
Five people, including four members of a family and their neighbour, were injured in a fire caused due to the blast of a washing machine compressor at their residence in suburban Chembur on Wednesday evening.
According to the disaster control room of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC), the incident took place at around 6 pm at the residence of Subhash Kamble.
“Four members of the family, including two women and a 12-year-old boy, were injured in the fire due to the machine compressor blast,” he said.
Those injured were identified as Subhash Kamble (65), Manisha (34), Kiran (40), Daksh (12) and their neighbour Pooja Hinduja, the official added.
They were taken to a Sion Hospital for treatment. The hospital’s dean, Dr. Jayashree Mondkar, has said all the five are critical as most of them have sustained over 40-45 percent burns.
Among the five, Manisha received 90-95 percent burns, while Kiran suffered 70 percent burns.
The fire was confined to the ground floor structure, an official from the fire department said.