Nine injured in cylinder blast at Kandivali chawl

Nine injured in cylinder blast at Kandivali chawl
The incident took place around 11 pm when Sandeep Kanade and family were changing a gas cylinder in their house at Gaware Chawl in Kandivali (Picture: ANI)

At least nine persons sustained burn injuries in a fire that broke out after a cooking gas cylinder exploded in a chawl in Mumbai’s Kandivali area on Wednesday night.

According to officials, the incident took place around 11 pm yesterday when Sandeep Kanade and family were changing a gas cylinder in their house at Gaware Chawl in Janupada area of Kandivali.

The cylinder explosion triggered a fire, during which members of the Kanade family and some neighbours suffered severe burns. All of them were later rushed to the Shatabdi Hospital located nearby.

The injured have been identified as Sharada Kanade (56), Sandeep Kanade (31), Omkar Chike (18), Mehul Surti (18), Jayesh Sutar (30), Divesh Patel (22), Rajesh Dubla (40), Divyani Surti (47) and Nishant Panchal (11).

Sandeep and Sharada sustained around 45 percent burns and are still under treatment.

Four people have been treated and were later discharged while others are in stable condition, Dr. Sameedha, Assistant Medical Officer (AMO) of Shatabdi Hospital said.

The timely arrival of the fire brigade ensured that the blaze was brought under control before it could spread further.

The incident took place hours after a leakage in a cooking gas cylinder led to a similar fire at a chawl in Bandra. Six people, including two children, were injured in that fire.

Back to latest news