18-month-old girl dies, another toddler critically injured in Bandra building fire

18-month-old girl dies, another toddler critically injured in Bandra building fire
MLA Ashish Shelar at Shoaib Manzil after the incident

An 18-month-old toddler died while another sustained serious injuries after a fire broke out in a building near Carter Road in Mumbai’s Bandra area on Monday afternoon.

According to preliminary information, the blaze started out noon in the pump room of Shoaib Manzil, a ground plus two-storey building located close to the junction between New Kandwadi Road and Perry Cross Road in Bandra West.

The room was located next to the staff quarters, where the family of the building’s watchman resided. His two children, Uma Bhanu (2.5 years) and Didi Bhanu (1.5 years), were sleeping inside the room when the mishap took place.

The fire quickly engulfed the clothes, furniture and electric wiring inside the room, following which fire department was alerted. Firefighters managed to douse the flames in an hour.

Meanwhile, both toddlers were rushed to Holy Family hospital. Devi succumbed to her injuries, while Uma is in a critical condition.

Although the fire is suspected to have caused due to a short circuit, a confirmation from the fire department is awaited.

Bandra MLA Ashish Shelar reached the spot with other officials. The MLA promised assistance to the victim’s family and strict action against the culprits responsible for the tragic incident.

“Fire occurred in the staff room of the building. Prima facie it appears to be an illegal structure. Visited the spot and hospital. Have asked BMC for an immediate inquiry and criminal FIR against culprits responsible for the loss of young girl’s life,” Shelar tweeted.

The fire officer of the ward is also reportedly in the process of filing a complaint against the office bearers of the society for utilising the pump room area.

This is the second fire reported in the city today. Earlier, a massive blaze had engulfed a manufacturing unit inside Andheri’s Mistry Industrial Estate. Two fire was doused after a few hours and two firemen were injured in the mishap.

Back to latest news