30 students fall sick after consuming food served at a function in Thane
Around 30 students of a Bhiwandi-based madrassa in the neighbouring Thane district fell sick after consuming food served at a function on Tuesday.
The students, all boys aged around 12 to 15, complained of vomiting, nausea, stomach-ache and giddiness after consuming biryani at the function at Diwan Shah Madrasa located in Bhiwandi’s Roshan Bagh area.
The students were subsequently rushed to the government-run IGM hospital in Bhiwandi. According to initial reports, the cause is suspected to be food poisoning.
The children were served food at a feast organised at the madrassa on Tuesday afternoon, Bhiwandi’s tehsildar Shashikant Gaikwad said.
Later, as the health of some children started deteriorating, at least five of them were shifted to the Nair Hospital in Mumbai.
All children are currently out of danger. Meanwhile, an investigation has been ordered into the incident.
#Visuals from Maharashtra: 26 children fell ill last evening after consuming Biryani in Diwan Shah Madrasa in Bhiwandi’s Roshan Bagh area, admitted in hospital. 5 children who were critical, referred to Mumbai. pic.twitter.com/0a874ApP3o
— ANI (@ANI) January 18, 2018