4 more Mumbai hospitals stop admitting new patients after coronavirus exposure
Less than a week after three private hospitals were designated as containment zones, four more hospitals in Mumbai have been forced to stop new admissions due to possible exposure to coronavirus patients.
According to reports, the hospitals in question are Breach Candy Hospital in Cumballa Hill, Bhatia Hospital in Tardeo, Hinduja Hospital in Khar and Spandan Hospital in Mulund.
The BMC asked the hospital to stop admitting new patients on Wednesday after a technician and a nurse tested positive for COVID-19 earlier this week.
It has also taken samples of over 90 staffers, including doctors, to test possible exposure to the novel coronavirus. The hospital has been instructed to not take in new patients until the staff’s test results are out.
If more staffers test positive, the hospital will be declared a containment zone. Civic officials have also sealed the hostel in Mahim where the nurse was staying.
At least three patients admitted to the hospital tested positive for coronavirus earlier this week, following which it was declared a containment zone. It also released a statement stating that it will not be admitting new patients until their staff was tested.
“Three emergency patient admissions were registered and their swab samples sent to Kasturba Hospital. All three samples of patients tested positive for COVID-19,” the statement said.
“On the suspicion during initial analysis, one of the patients among three was immediately admitted to ICU followed by the admission of the remaining two post initial analysis. As a precautionary measure, the BMC officials have taken swab of around 70 staff at Bhatia Hospital. The test results are awaited,” it added.
A 76-year-old woman tested positive at the hospital on Wednesday after which civic officials told its management to restrict admission and started testing all staffers who had come in contact with the patient.
The BMC has said that no new patient will be admitted to the hospital until further notice. Meanwhile, it has identified and isolated at least 14 other high-risk contacts that had come in contact with the 76-year-old.
The patient has been shifted to Seven Hills Hospital.
Over 60 doctors, nurses and other staffers have been reportedly been sent to quarantine after a senior citizen admitted to the hospital tested positive.
Apart from the Ghatkopar woman, another 80-year-old woman from Badlapur tested positive for COVID-19 later. Both lost their lives.
So far, one nurse from the hospital has tested positive and the hospital is expected to remain shut until the test results of all the staff are out.