Bhandup police expose engineering exam scam, arrest 8 MU staffers
Local Press Co 5-Point Snippet
1. The Bhandup police exposed a major engineering answer-sheet scam when they arrested eight Mumbai University staffers, including three clerks, four peons and a custodian, red handed while selling answer sheets to the students on Friday night.
2. After receiving a tip-off that a few agents were going to arrive at a spot near Bhandup railway station to sell the answer sheets of a second-year Mechanical engineering subject and collect the bribe, the police laid a trap to nab the agents red handed. Three constables along with sub-inspector Kale, reached the spot and detained the corrupt officials and a few students.
3. The accused, identified as Sandeep Jadhav, Siddhesh Jadhav, Rohan More, Mithun More, Sanjay Kumbhar, Chiman Solanki and Prabhakar Vaze, are suspected of running the racket for the past few years. While investigating, the cops recovered 92 answer sheets, which were about to be sold to the students at a whopping cost of Rs 15,000 to Rs 20,000. The answer sheets had come from examination centres in Kamothe, Airoli, Karjat and Navi Mumbai.
4. The cops had already received information that an engineering student had bribed the peons and acquired his 30-page answer sheet. He then led the police to the accused by revealing their plan of smuggling the answer sheets. The students would send their hall ticket numbers to the staff on Whatsapp, buy the sheets and later take them home to fill the left questions.
5. All the accused have been booked for cheating, criminal breach of trust and criminal misappropriation of property along with sections 7 (prohibition of copying) and 8 (abetment of offences) of the Maharashtra Prevention of Malpractices at University, Board and Other Specified Examinations Act.