BMC wants to ban 6 contractors for sub-standard road work, but can’t
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. A week back, BMC had registered an FIR against 6 contractors who were found guilty of carrying out sub-standard work after the civic body’s inspection of 34 city roads.
2. While BMC is mulling over the idea of permanently blacklisting them, the contractors are already working on government projects worth approximately Rs 1500 crore.
3. Sources indicate the same contractors – KR Construction, Mahavir Road Infrastructure Pvt. Ltd, RK Madhani, RPS Infraprojects Pvt. Ltd, J Kumar Infraprojects Ltd and Relcon Infraprojects Ltd are amongst those who have bagged most of the city’s road repair and construction projects.
4. BMC has found itself in a tricky position because blacklisting the contractors wouldn’t have any impact on the the projects they’re already working on.
5. In the meanwhile, Mumbai BJP secretary, Vivekanand Gupta has claimed that the BMC is trying to weaken the case against the contractors and demanded that the case be transferred to the anti-corruption bureau to ensure the contractors are brought to justice.