Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. A city builder, Ajmera Developers, who had taken over three gardens near Bhakti Park in Wadala, has been asked surrender the properties back to the civic body.
2. The Mumbai-based builder had taken over the gardens for a period of 20 years on maintenance contract and turned them into a sports academy, an off-limits park and an open space with ticketed entry. When the builder was asked about the restricted entry by Mumbai Mirror last year, he cited ‘threat by terrorist attacks’ and ‘couples’ as the reason.
3. Prior to the civic body’s probe in the matter, the Lokayukta had also sought action against the developer. However, on Monday, the BMC informed the anti-corruption public advocate that they will soon take possession of the properties.
4. At present, the Lokayukta has sealed the garden with the sports academy while the second garden is still out of bounds for public, leaving only one garden open to the public.
5. Although, most residents from in and around Bhakti Park are happy with the civic body’s action against the encroachment of open spaces, some of the residents are miffed given they were in favor of the work done by Ajmera Developers.Back to latest news