Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. The CBI, in July 2014, had booked four men including the vice-president of Mumbai-based Showman group, Vimal Barot, for allegedly cheating Dena bank to the tune of Rs 220 crore.
2. But according to a Mid-Day report, the accused businessmen, who was lodged in Arthur Road jail for money-laundering, has left the tedious jail term and is leading a comfortable life in Andheri’s Aviva multispeciality hospital since December 2015.
3. Barot was admitted in the hospital after he complained of skin infection on the basis of some forged documents, and since then has been paying an estimated Rs 5 lakh each month to the jail authorities for letting him stay in the hospital.
4. When Mid-Day visited the hospital to confirm the news, they found that a few cops who were deployed outside Barot’s room for his security were engrossed in watching a television serial while other constables were busy sprawling in the hospital premises.
5. During his hospital stay, Barot has been allowed to bring-in home-cooked food and meet family members as the facility is merely 15 minutes away from his Lokhandwala residence. Meanwhile, a top official confirmed to the city daily that eight policemen are keeping an eye on the alleged fraudster 24×7.Back to latest news