Thane man booked for creating fake Facebook profile and blackmailing minor
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. A 27-year-old allegedly blackmailed and molested a minor girl by creating a fake Facebook profile with her name and sending obscene messages from that account.
2. The accused, who is a relative of the 16-year-old, created the fake Facebook profile sometime last year. He then sent obscene messages from the fake profile to a female friend, who was an accomplice in the crime.
3. In August last year, the accused sent the minor screenshots containing obscene messages sent from her fake Facebook profile and blackmailed her. He also called the victim to his house in Naupada, Thane where he molested and assaulted her. He repeated the same ruse by posting messages on another female friend’s account.
4. When the accused finally threatened the minor and her mother of posting obscene messages on their relatives’ accounts, the mother decided to file a complaint.
5. Naupada police have registered a case against the accused and his 2 female accomplices under sections 354 (assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty), 292, 500 (defamation), 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of the peace) and 506 (criminal intimidation) of the IPC and also relevant sections of the IT Act and Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act. However, they are yet to make any arrest.