Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. ORCA, a racing car made by 75 Bombay IIT engineering students, is set to participate in the Formula Student UK competition along with cars designed by around 100 student teams across the globe.
2. The electric car, which took ten months to design & develop and has CEAT tyres, NRB Bearings and Tata Motors as sponsors, was finally unveiled on Sunday. The team claims that the car can reach a top speed of 145 kmph.
3. The leader of Team ORCA, Rishabh Kappasia, told Times of India, “With an acceleration of 0-100 kmph in 3.47 seconds, ORCA is faster than any other sports car made by Porsche, Tesla or Audi. Not only is its acceleration a record, it is the first time we have a special steel-frame chassis with carbon-fibre manufactured body, which not only reduces the weight but also stabilises the car at high speeds.”
4. The Formula Student UK competition is an annual competition where students’ electric and internal combustion cars are judged on the basis of their engineering, presentation skills along with other factors.
5. The IIT Bombay team has been participating in the competition since five years and is the only team to bag the FS award for three consecutive years.Back to latest news