LIVE: CSMT foot-over-bridge collapses, several injured
The foot-over-bridge near Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSMT) platform 1 collapsed on Thursday evening, leaving several injured.
According to officials, the bridge connecting the north end of CSMT platform 1 with BT Lane near Times of India building collapsed around 7:30 pm today.
Injured persons were rushed to nearby St. George hospital, Cama Hospital and Gokuldas Tejpal (GT) hospital.
Around two dozen people are believed to have been injured as of publishing this report and several others could still be trapped.
Due to the high crowd movement near the station and FOB, located in the vicinity of both BMC and Mumbai Police headquarters, a large crowd has gathered at the spot, affecting traffic movement on the route.
While senior officials from police and Mumbai Fire Brigade are on the spot, officials have advised motorists and commuters to avoid JJ flyover, Fort, Crawford Market and opt for alternate routes instead.
“Foot over bridge connecting CST platform 1 north end with B T Lane near Times of India building has collapsed. Injured persons are being shifted to hospitals. Traffic affected. Commuters to use alternate routes. Senior officers are on spot,” Mumbai Police tweeted.
The incident, however, did not affect suburban services.
“In an unfortunate incident a portion of a foot over bridge (FOB) over road outside CSMT station collapsed. It is a public fob outside railway… Railway traffic not affected,” CR CPRO Sunil Udasi said.
Rescue operation is currently underway. A team from National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) is also reportedly on the spot.
(8:25 pm): Three persons have died and over 30 are reported injured as per the latest figures released by authorities. A NDRF team from Andheri, Mumbai Police and Mumbai Fire Brigade are trying rescue people possibly trapped under the debris.
Mumbai: Visuals from St George Hospital where some of the people, injured in foot over bridge near CSMT railway station collapse, have been taken. 34 people are injured, 2 people dead. pic.twitter.com/G3vIrPU8yE
— ANI (@ANI) March 14, 2019
“As per information received, part of the foot over bridge near CST station Mumbai collapsed. As per initial information, 10-12 persons are feared to be trapped in debris. One team from RRC Mumbai has been marched to the incident site,” NDRF said.
* Death toll rises to 4. “Four people have died in the incident where part of a FOB near CSMT railway station collapsed,” Disaster Management Unit (DMU) of BMC.
* Two deceased identified as Apoorva Prabhu (35) and Ranjana Tambe (40).
* Helpline for St George Hospital, where most of the injured have been admitted – 022-22620242
* The Railways said in a statement the bridge belonged to city’s municipal corporation.
* Reports say passenger amenities committee of Railway Board had suggested bridge repairs in 2018.
* “The incident brings back haunting memories of the Elphinstone bridge collapse. But, no amount of deaths are enough for authorities to take notice. A few days from now, all will be forgotten again,” says Karan Samant, who commutes form CSMT daily.
* “A slab of the bridge had collapsed. Railways and BMC will conduct an inquiry into its maintenance. Bridge wasn’t in a bad condition, it required minor repairs for which work was underway. Why was it not closed until the work was completed, it’ll also be probed,” says Maharashtra Education Minister Vinod Tawde.
* Death toll rises to 5, says Disaster Management Unit (DMU) of BMC.
* BJP MLA demands action against official.
“It’s unfortunate, it shouldn’t have happened. Action should be taken against the engineer who gave certificate to this bridge in auditing, he should be arrested. He should be punished,” Raj Purohit on FOB collapse.
More visuals from the spot (discretion advised)
Foot over bridge connecting CSMT railway station collapsed pic.twitter.com/GKRcZywOXI
— Dil Se Desh (دل سے دیش ) (@Dilsedesh) March 14, 2019
— Anuraag Kamble (@AnuragANK) March 14, 2019