Mumbai’s Manish Market to remain shut for 2 days in wake of 1993 blast convict Mustafa Dossa’s death
Following the demise of 1993 Mumbai serial blast convict Mustafa Dossa yesterday, all shopkeepers of Mumbai’s Manish Market have unanimously decided to keep the market shut for two days.
Dossa, the alleged mastermind of the blasts, died due to cardiac arrest at 2.30pm on Wednesday. He had been admitted to JJ Hospital during the wee hours after complaining of chest pain.
After the news of his demise broke yesterday afternoon, shopkeepers started downing their shutters. Later, a notice was put up stating that shops in the building would remain shut on Wednesday and Thursday.
Located between Masjid Bunder and CST, Manish Market is one of the biggest wholesale cum retail markets for Chinese goods in the country. Over a hundred shopkeepers sell everything from plastic toys to expensive electronics.
According to an Indian Express report, the shop owners unanimously agreed to keep the market closed since most shops were either owned or financed by Dossa and his relatives.
“We had opened the shop in the morning. But we shut it in the afternoon. All owners have decided to keep it shut,” Shajahan Mohammed, who owns a perfume and electronics shop, told the daily.
Many traders even visited JJ hospital yesterday following his demise.
Dossa hailed from Agripada and spent most of his adult life in Dubai. He was arrested in a local case in 2003 due to which he was supposed to be deported from the UAE. But he chose to return to India on his own, following which he was arrested.
He was one of the six men convicted by a special TADA court on June 6 in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case. He charged with conspiracy and murder under various sections of the IPC, besides offences under the TADA Act, the Arms Act and the Explosives Act.
Central Bureau of Investigation prosecutor Deepak Salvi said Dossa was the driving spirit behind the blast, and the true “architect” of the conspiracy. He had sought the death penalty for him earlier this week.
The 60-year-old was buried at the Bada Kabrastan in Charni Road earlier today. His funeral was attended by around 200 persons, which mostly included family members and friends.