Police arrest Nalasopara couple for selling fake US dollars at discounted rates
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. On Friday, Vasai Crime Branch Unit arrested a couple from Nalasopara red-handed while trying to sell fake US dollars for Indian currency at cheaper rates.
2. While the mastermind of the plan, Aamin, is currently absconding, the arrested duo have been identified as Mohammad Hussain and Salma Alam. The gang’s modus operandi involved telling potential targets that they had just traveled overseas and were in possession of dollars, which they were willing to exchange at discounted rates.
3. After receiving a complaint from a cab driver, Sheikh Ahmad, about the conmen and their female companion, the cops laid a trap to nab the accused. In his complaint, Sheikh had mentioned that Aamin had met him last week in Andheri. In exchange of $20, Aamin took Rs 500 from him and informed him that he had US dollars worth Rs 6 lakh with him which he could exchange for Rs 3 lakh.
4. Aamin had given Sheikh’s phone number to Hussain who repeatedly kept calling him to talk about the deal. Sheikh got suspicious and immediately approached the Vasai Crime Branch unit.
5. Hussain and Salma, both are in police custody and booked under various sections of IPC including 420 (cheating), 406 (criminal breach of trust) and 34 acts in furtherance of common intention.