Senior citizen approaches consumer forum for faulty toaster, gets Rs 11,000 compensation
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. The Central Mumbai District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum, on Wednesday, directed Bajaj Electricals Ltd and a Worli store to pay Rs 11,500 as compensation to an elderly person for selling him a defective toaster.
2. The complainant Rajan Alimchandani, who is in his 70’s, had bought the toaster from New Prakash Bhandi stores in Worli on May 7 in 2014. The toaster came with a two-year guarantee.
3. Upon realizing that the toaster was faulty, Alimchandani contacted the dealer and put forth his complaint. Initially, he received no response. But later, on his repeated requests the dealer had sent a technician to find out the problem.
4. On examination, a problem was detected in the coil, after which Alimchandani called for a coil replacement, but to no avail. He then issued a notice to the dealer, which again fell on deaf ears.
5. Left with no option, Alimchandani filed his complaint before the consumer forum who ruled in his favour and directed the company to pay the compensatory amount to the senior citizen.