Select Page

Swine flu cases on the rise in Mumbai, has claimed 5 lives in last two weeks

Swine flu cases on the rise in Mumbai, has claimed 5 lives in last two weeks
Swine flu cases on the rise in Mumbai, has claimed 5 lives in last two weeks

H1N1 cases have gone up to 874 since January this year, of which 672 have been registered in Mumbai alone (Representational Image. Courtesy: PTI)

Five persons have died of the H1N1 influenza virus, more commonly known as Swine flu, in Mumbai over the last two weeks, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has revealed.

The civic health officials have said that rise in cases of influenza has been a cause of concern, especially during the monsoon season.

According to a statement issued by the BMC, in the first fortnight of this month, the civic hospitals registered 250 new cases of H1N1 while five people succumbed to the air-borne infection.

The cases of H1N1 since January this year have gone up to 874, out of which 672 have been registered in Mumbai alone. The remaining 202 cases were reported from outside the metropolis.

A BMC official said that 22 people, 14 of them in Mumbai, have succumbed to the disease so far this year. However, the civic body has prepared a plan to prevent and control these diseases during the monsoon.

“The fluctuation in temperature and high moisture content in the air are conducive for the spread of H1N1 virus and therefore, people are advised for adequate preventive measures,” an official told PTI.

Swine flu is a respiratory disease with symptoms that include fever, coughing, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body ache and fatigue.

The city has also reported scores of cases related to other monsoon-related diseases. Between July 1 and 15 itself, there were 309 cases of malaria cases, 544 of gastroenteritis, 23 of leptospirosis and 28 of dengue, the BMC statement said.

A vegetable vendor from suburban Kanjurmarg and an electrician from Matunga died of leptospirosis in the last fortnight, the BMC’s public health department said.

Leptospirosis is a bacterial infection that spreads through water contaminated with the urine of rats and dogs.

“Both the deceased had a history of alcohol addiction and they had developed fever, vomiting and muscle pain around three-four days before their admission in hospital,” a civic official said.

He said a spurt in the viral infections is likely during the dry spell after showers, but assured that there was no reason to panic. He also urged individuals to seek medical aid in case of symptoms like cough, cold and fever.

With agency inputs

Send this to a friend