Viviana Mall in Thane will be shut on Wednesday after a fire broke out in a storeroom inside the mall during the wee hours.
According to officials, the blaze broke out around 3 am in a storeroom located near Cinepolis Multiplex on the second floor of the mall.
Fire department was alerted about the mishap immediately, following which six fire tenders, six water tankers and one Quick Response Vehicle (QRV) were pressed into service.
“A fire broke-out in the storeroom of a multiplex due to short circuit, which immediately got detected by the mall’s fire alert systems. It was brought under control by the mall’s internal fire safety team and Thane’s fire brigade team,” Shashikant Kale, chief fire officer, Thane Municipal Corporation was quoted saying.
Although the blaze was brought under control in a few hours, the entire floor, and subsequently the entire mall, was filled with a dense cloud of smoke.
Fire officials deployed a smoke exhauster to vent the smoke out of the premises. However, they have decided the keep the mall shut for the day due to prevent any untoward incident.
Kale added that cooling operations were underway and one fire engine will be deployed at the mall for the next few hours as a precautionary measure. The mall will be re-opened after a go-ahead from the fire department.
While the storeroom itself was gutted in the blaze, the incident did not result in any casualties.
The mall, located on Eastern Express Highway near Jupiter Hospital, is the biggest mall in Thane and is frequented by thousands daily.
The incident comes less than two weeks after a massive fire destroyed six godowns, where oil and tyres were stored, at Gundavali village in Thane’s Bhiwandi.View Realtime Updates