More women groped, touched inappropriately in Mumbai than Delhi
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. When comparing Delhi and Mumbai in terms of women’s safety, the maximum city has always seemed safer for women. However, a recent study uncovered new facts that might change this popular notion.
2. The research was conducted by Nielsen India Pvt Ltd and Commonwealth Health Rights Initiative wherein they carried out a survey on crime victimization and perception of safety between July 2014 and June 2015.
3. The study found that more women were groped, touched or pinched in the economic capital of the country than in its political capital.
4. The survey also examined recorded sexual harassment cases in both the cities and discovered a major difference in the data. While the perpetrator was known to the victim by sight in Delhi, the suspects were often unknown to the victims in Mumbai.
5. As for safety perception, most people viewed Mumbai to be safer than Delhi. Facts support this perception as 1 out of every 11 cases of all reported crime are related to sexual harassment in Delhi compared to 1 out of 25 in Mumbai.