After 4 years BCCI recommends a cricketer for Khel Ratna
Local Press Co Snippet
1. After a gap of 4 years, BCCI has recommended a cricketer for the country’s highest sports honour – the Khel Ratna award.
2. BCCI has recommended India’s Test captain Virat Kohli for the this year’s award. Kohli will compete with shooter Jitu Rai, squash player Dipika Pallikalm, golfer Anirban Lahiri and athlete Tintu Luka.
3. In 2012, BCCI had recommended Rahul Dravid for the Khel Ratna. But, it was awarded to wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt and shooter Vijay Kumar. Only 2 cricketers, Sachin Tendulkar and M.S Dhoni, have been conferred with a Khel Ratna till date.
4. BCCI has also recommended India’s top order batsman Ajinkya Rahane for the Arjuna Award. Kohli had been conferred the Arjuna award in 2013 and Rohit Sharma in 2014.
5. Other than the citation, the Khel Ratna carries a prize money of Rs 7.5 lakh and Arjuna Award a prize money of Rs 5 lakh.