MNS workers vandalise government office over water supply
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. On Tuesday, workers of Raj Thackeray led Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) vandalised the office of Pune’s irrigation department for supplying water to neighbouring taluks.
2. The workers destroyed furniture, chanted slogans to protest against Pune’s guardian Minister Girish Bapat’s decision of releasing water from city’s Khadakwasla dam to parched taluks of Daund and Indapur.
3. Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) opposed the decision in the wake of city’s severe water crisis. Since last September, PMC has been supplying water on alternate days.
4. Political parties like Nationalist Congress Party and MNS also opposed the decision since it was taken without consulting the civic body and unfair for city’s residents.
5. While announcing his decision last week, Bapat had claimed that Pune would face no further cuts in water supply and assured residents that the supply to taluks would be facilitated through the reserves of the city’s four dams.