Select Page

Nashik Unrest: Police says situation under control, urges citizens to not spread rumours

Nashik Unrest: Police says situation under control, urges citizens to not spread rumours
Chaos in Nashik: Locals torch police vehicles, stage protests across city over minor's rape 7

Picture Courtesy: Satish Raman

Over the last 24 hours, situation in Nashik has been tense following the alleged rape of a minor in the city.

However, Nashik police have now said that the situation is under control and urged citizens to not spread false information on social media.

In the statement, issued around 11 pm on Sunday, Nashik police have stated that a minor, yet unfortunate, incident took place in Talegaon village last night. However, authorities were quick to take cognizance of the matter and provide the necessary help to the victim.

Police have also urged citizens, who have been either sharing or acquiring information about the law and order situation of the city via social media, to exercise caution and not spread any rumours.

Nashik police commissioner, Ravindra Singhal, has also assured that investigation is underway and strict action will be taken against the accused.

The statement also says that action will be taken against those found spreading false information about the incident.

Even Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has appealed to locals to stay calm and assured that the case would be tried in a fast track court.

Meanwhile, Nashik school association has decided to keep schools in the area closed on Monday for security reasons.

Those who are scheduled to travel to Nashik tomorrow are advised to cancel or delay their visit till tension subsides.

Official Post:

Related: Video/Images of unrest in Nashik


A 5-year-old girl was allegedly raped by a teen near Trimbakeshwar in Nashik late last night, leading to large scale protests in the area.

The 16-year-old boy, who has been taken into custody, allegedly tried to rape the minor girl at Talegaon village near Trimbakeshwar in the district yesterday, Nashik Superintendent of Police Ankush Shinde said today.

The teen has been booked under relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code and sections of Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act.

The minor is undergoing treatment at a hospital in Nashik. It is not yet confirmed medically whether she has been raped.

On Saturday evening, the girl and her elder sister (7) were sitting in their house, when the accused lured them out by offering them chocolates. He then took them to an isolated place where he allegedly tried to rape the 5-year-old, while her elder sister managed to flee.

As soon as the news spread, tension gripped Talegaon as locals gathered at the police station last night demanding that the boy be booked and arrested.

The villagers staged ‘rasta roko’ in Wadovhare, Ghoti and Anjaneri-phata areas. Some people set tyres on fire, and also damaged a tractor in Talegaon. The protesters also observed bandh at Ojhar town as a sign of protest.

The enraged mob gathered at several places this morning also and damaged three police vehicles, including the car of Special IG, Nashik Range, Vinaykumar Choube, when he was rushing to Talegaon today.

Police had to use teargas shells and fire two live rounds in the air at Talegaon to disperse the mob, a rural control room official said.

People also staged ‘rasta roko’ on Nashik-Igatpuri road, Nashik-Aurangabad road and Mumbai-Agra National Highway today where later extra police force was deployed and the routes cleared.

The incident comes three months after a 14-year-old was gang raped and murdered in Kopardi, Ahmednagar. Since then, the Maratha community has staged silent protests across the state to demand justice.

Send this to a friend