Shashank Manohar quits as BCCI president, to contend for ICC chairman
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. BCCI President Shashank Manohar, on Tuesday, resigned from his post after a new rule restricted individuals from holding an important post in the ICC while simultaneously being the Board president.
2. According to reports, Manohar is being considered for the role of International Cricket Council (ICC) chairman. To stay in contention for the role, Manohar decided to quit BCCI.
3. Sources claim that many BCCI members are unhappy with Manohar’s move as they believe that leaving the post prematurely wasn’t in BCCI’s best interest.
4. NCP chief Sharad Pawar and BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur are both frontrunners for the president’s post.
5. The process of electing country’s new cricketing chief will be completed by May 23. The ICC election, on the other hand, is due next month.