Byculla cable operator torrents and broadcasts Marathi movie, gets arrested
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. A cable operator from Byculla was arrested by officers from the Cyber Crime division at BKC for broadcasting a pirated version of the Marathi movie ‘Sairat’.
2. The highly-awaited Marathi movie released last Friday, but it’s pirated version had already made its way on the internet two days before its release. The cable operator, Raju Jagannath Kamble, downloaded the pirated version and broadcasted it.
3. An employee at Essel vision, the production house that owns the theatrical rights to the movie, spotted it on television and recorded it. He brought the piracy to the attention of the movie’s executive producer who then filed an FIR.
4. The police have arrested and booked Kamble for source code theft, illegal broadcasting and distribution under the relevant sections of the IPC, IT Act and Piracy Act.
5. The cyber crime cell is also tracing the source of the pirated version on the internet in order to nab the person who uploaded it.