Rooftop traveller electrocuted at Ghatkopar station

Rooftop traveller electrocuted near Ghatkopar station
The commuter came in contact with high voltage OHE wire and burnt severely, CR CPRO Shivaji Sutar said (Picture Courtesy: Ashish Singh)

An unidentified rooftop traveller was electrocuted at suburban Ghatkopar station on the Central line on Friday night.

According to preliminary information, the incident took place around 9:25 pm and came to light after passengers noticed the man lying on top of the train as it halted at Ghatkopar station.

“A rooftop traveller electrocuted at Ghatkopar station on Central Railway. Time 21.25-21.40 hours,” said Shivaji Sutar, Central Railway’s Chief Public Relations Officer.

Services on the south-bound route towards CSMT were brought to a halt while officials brought him down and rushed him to a nearby hospital.

“He came in contact with high voltage OHE wire and burnt severely. The station master and staff shifted him to Rajawadi Hospital for treatment. Commuters are requested not to travel on EMU rooftop,” Sutar added.

Details about the injured commuter’s identity and present condition are awaited.

Regular services on Central Line’s slow track, meanwhile, resumed around 9:40 pm.

Back to latest news