60 students might land in jail in connection with engineering answer-sheets scam
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. Five days after the Bhandup Police arrested eight Mumbai University staffers for selling answer sheets to the students, exposing a major engineering answer-sheet scam, the cops have named at least 60 students who were involved and were ‘beneficiaries’ in the scam.
2. According to the police, the students were fully aware that they are committing a crime by purchasing the answer-sheets, but still went ahead with it. These students could be likely named in the answer-sheets scam chargesheet.
3. Further, the varsity has declared that the accused students will not be handed-over their mark-sheets until the police investigation is done. The Bhandup police have said that only those ‘directly involved’ in the scam will be booked.
4. The students found guilty will be sent to jail for a period of three months and will be booked under sections 7 (prohibition of copying and impersonation at exams) and 8 (punishment for abetment of offences) of the Maharashtra Prevention of Malpractices at University, Board and Other Specified Examinations Act.
5. Meanwhile the cops have launched a man-hunt to nab two more accused who were involved in the scam and are currently absconding.