Inmates at Thane jail enjoy biryani, cigarettes and calling facility
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. In a shocking revelation, an unidentified cop has written to Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and exposed the dirty deeds of the Thane jail superintendent Hiralal Jadhav. The expose comes days after the controversy surrounding Arthur Road Jail Superintendent Bharat Bhonsale, who allegedly allowed high profile criminals like Chhagan Bhujbal to leave out of prison, came to light.
2. In the letter to the CM, the unidentified cop has revealed that financially sound inmates are allowed to lead a lavish lifestyle in Thane jail, provided they can keep superintendent Jadhav happy. He further alleged that Jadhav allowed prisons to make unscheduled calls, smuggle drugs & alcohol and tampered with prison records with the help of his trusted aides.
3. Jadhav, who took charge in February this year, also boasted about how he was given charge of the prison despite his tainted record because he bribed the top brass with Rs 25 lakh. In 2010, he was suspended as principal of police training center for misbehaving with women trainees.
4. The whistleblower also added that Jadhav’s greed wasn’t just restricted to the rich prisoners. He would gladly accommodate smaller requests like changing duty, shifting barracks and adding amenities for relatively smaller amounts. In addition to prisoners, he even demanded kickbacks and bribes from fellow cops for assigning them favorable duties.
5. Jadhav, on the other hand, has stated that the allegations against him are false and the letter was most likely written by a cop who failed to get a favorable post. Since authorities are not required to take action on the basis of anonymous letters, there is no saying whether an official enquiry will be made into the allegations.