CST to be swept thrice a day as a part of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. After being listed among the top 10 iconic locations for showcasing Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Swachh Bharat Initiative, Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) also featured in the government’s list of 145 heritage structures where cleanliness drives will be initiated.
2. Therefore, the city’s civic body has taken the onus of turning the UNESCO World Heritage site into the metropolis’ cleanest railway station within the next few weeks by organizing a ‘Clean CST’ drive.
3. While talking about the initiative, a senior BMC official told the press, “Illegal hawkers around the station will be evicted. The road dividers and medians near the station will be given a fresh coat of paint. If need be, we will also relocate a few licensed hawkers operating from the CST subway. Under the ‘Clean CST’ drive, all roads near the station will be swept thrice a day.”
4. Additionally, more garbage bins will be installed around the station in order to curb littering and promote cleanliness among the masses.
5. The massive ‘Clean CST’ drive will be a collaboration between the BMC and the Central Railways (CR). The state’s Tourism Ministry will be monitoring the clean-up operation along with the BMC’s culture and sanitation departments.