Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. The 16-km Eastern Freeway will remained closed for motorists on late Saturday and Sunday nights for installation of speed restriction boards and thermoplastic rumblers.
2. Earlier this week, Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) had installed rumblers ahead of the 250 metre ramp constructed near the Wadala Truck Terminal in a bid to curb accidents. However, the decision backfired after the rumblers resulted in a massive traffic jam on Monday morning.
3. After receiving heavy criticism from motorists, the rumblers were removed within a day’s time. Now, MMRDA and Mumbai Traffic police decided to opt for the installation of speed restriction boards and thermoplastic rumblers instead.
4. MMRDA officials will close the freeway and carry out installation work for a period of 4 hours starting midnight on Saturday and Sunday. To ensure that the work is completed within the 2 day period, MMRDA has also requested permission from the traffic department to close the freeway till 6 am. However, the permission hasn’t been granted till now.
5. The rise in number of accidents, around the soon to be opened ramp, prompted the decision to install the rumblers earlier and now the speed restriction boards. Prior to this, the traffic department had also suggested installing signals on the freeway, but the decision was opposed by the MMRDA.Back to latest news