HR, Khalsa, KJ Somaiya get Rs 1.5 crore each for showcasing ‘Potential for Excellence’
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. The University Grants Commission has handpicked eight city colleges with ‘Potential for Excellence’ (CPE). The colleges are HR, GN Khalsa, KPB Hinduja, KJ Somaiya (both), BN Bandodkar, Dr BMN College and Maniben MP Shah.
2. Under the CPE scheme, all eight colleges will receive a grant of Rs 1.5 crore which the college can use for purposes like upgrading infrastructure, adopting technology, improving teaching program etc.
3. According to Indu Shahani, principal of HR College in Churchgate, the college will be utilizing the grant money for digitalization of the curriculum and student evaluations.
4. Matunga’s GN Khalsa College, on the other hand, will be spending a lion’s share of the grant money on upgrading laboratories and on research projects. According to Principal Kiran Mangaonkar, the college will also spend a part of the grant money on improving its sports programme.
5. As for KPB Hinduja and KJ Somaiya colleges, the focus will primarily be on increasing the adoption of technology to aid teaching and learning with the help of e-content, virtual lectures etc.