Kurla Police arrest RTI activist for using ‘information’ to extort money
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. Vinoba Bhave Nagar police have arrested a Kurla-based RTI activist for trying to extort money from a local builder.
2. The activist, Gaffar Subedar, would file RTI queries to dig up information about ongoing or upcoming construction projects in Kurla. If the builder was found flouting any rules, he would demand money in exchange for not leaking the information to the BMC or media.
3. Subedar’s wrong doing came to light when a local builder Nasiruddin Siddiqui filed an extortion complaint against him at Vinoba Bhave Nagar police station.
4. The police quickly arrested Subedar after they found evidence that proved he had tried to extort money. The police investigation also revealed that Subedar had filed over 500 RTI queries with various government agencies.
5. Officials suspect that Subedar was being helped by certain government officials and are currently investigating the extent of their involvement.