Locals stop land mafia from grabbing prime Kalina plot
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. Locals and civic authorities came together to stop land mafia from grabbing over 4000 sq.m of prime land in Kalina.
2. According to a Mid-Day report, residents of Sundar Nagar in Kalina noticed workers putting fences around a plot of land that was reserved for a playground and school on June 15.
3. Suspicious of the activity, members of the advanced locality management (ALM), Voice of Kalina, checked with the workers to ascertain on whose order they were putting the fences. When they failed to get a satisfactory response, the members approached the civic authorities with a complaint.
4. In no time, BMC officials reached the site. When officials questioned the men at the site, they claimed that the property was owned by their bosses. However, upon checking with MHADA, officials found that the plot was owned by the housing body and BMC. Later, BMC officials sought the help of the local police, but by the time the cops arrived on the spot, the men had already left the area. Within hours, the barricades were demolished.
5. An ALM member also told the daily that since the plot was unutilized for decades, the land mafia have tried to encroach upon it previously as well. While their attempts were unsuccessful, they were never brought to justice. Even this time, quick action on the part of locals and BMC resulted in thwarting the encroachment attempt within 24 hours, but the culprits were not identified.