Mumbai police raid 4 bars, rescue 60 women and arrest 75
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. On Thursday night, the Social Service Branch of the Mumbai Police conducted raids at four city dance bars and rescued 60 women, while 75 persons including bar managers, owners and customers were arrested.
2. The four bars – Tejas Bar in Grant Road, Mehfil Bar in Ghatkopar, Pink Plaza Bar in Andheri and Samunder Bar in Mumbai Central were operating without requisite permission under the Maharashtra Prohibition of Obscene Dance in Hotels, Restaurants & Bar Rooms and Protection of Dignity of Women Act, 2016.
3. Earlier in March, the Supreme Court had lifted the ban on dance bars in Maharashtra and directed the state government to issue them licences soon.
4. The Mumbai police had issued certain guidelines for dance bars, which the bars had to adhere to diligently, before granting them licenses. But, the bars in question did not have the requisite permission and were therefore operating illegally.
5. The newly passed Dance bar regulation bill has provisions for stringent actions against the offenders. The bar owner or the operator is held accountable in case of violation of any rules. He can be sent to jail for five years and fined up to Rs 25,000.