Local press Co 5-point Snippet
1. In a bid to provide basic amenities to underprivileged kids, Thane Municipal Corporation has joined hands with NGO Samarth Bharat and started a ‘signal shala’ or ‘signal school’ at the Teen Hath Naka flyover in Thane West.
2. According to a Mumbai Mirror report, the signal shala will give students a crash-course on the basics of education, including the alphabets, numbers and arts & crafts. The kids will also avail other services like school supplies, toiletries, nutritious food and also a routine health check-up.
3. The classes, which will start from this Monday, will be attended by 20 street children who sell flowers, newspapers etc to earn a living. Mumbai Mirror has quoted a teacher from the school as saying, “The children are bright but have been failed by the system and we want to give them their childhoods back. They come from villages where their parents could not make money and end up getting into the ‘business’ because they have no choice.”
4. “Our focus is on cleanliness and personal hygiene. The kids were given a haircut and provided with a dental kit. A medical camp has also been arranged on Tuesday, because many of the children have skin problems because of poor hygiene,” she added.
5. The students will be transferred to municipal schools after getting basic education at the first-of-its-kind signal school.Back to latest news