32 lakh government employees to go on indefinite strike from 11th July
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. The National Federation of Indian Railwaymen (NFIR) will be serving strike notice to the General Managers on various Zonal Railways and Production Units on 9th June in support of the Charter of Demands. The indefinite strike will commence on 11th July.
2. NFIR General Secretary Dr M. Raghavaiah called for the strike to protest against the ‘disappointing and casual’ response of the Central Government on the Charter of Demands submitted on December 2015.
3. In a meeting held on June 3 between representatives of the Central Government employees, a unanimous decision was taken to call for a strike on 11th July. Over 32 lakh employees from Railways, Defence, Postal, Income Tax, Customs, Excise etc will be a part of the strike.
4. NFIR Press Secretary Somnath Malik confirmed that while the federation is keen on a negotiated settlement, the procrastination in the matter by the Central Government has compelled the NFIR to call for the strike.
5. The original Charter of Demands presented to the Central Government in December 2015 is given below: